January 15, 2013 by susanyvivi
As you can imagine, our first meeting since our big announcement the other day was both celebratory and full of hard work. There’s nothing like a contract deadline of April 10th to put a fire under everyone’s you know what. By that date, we will need to feel confident of two things: that there are no issues with the land and that we will be able to raise the necessary funds to finalize the purchase. If the answer is yes to both, we will have until June 19th to cross t’s, dot i’s and collect pennies.
We went through a list of eight key tasks that we’ll need to accomplish before our April deadline, and divvied up responsibilities:
1. Forming the Land Trust Society (that will own the land).
2. Forming the Co-op (that will lease the land from the Land Trust).
3. Developing our relationship and working with Vancity.
4. Exploring and evaluating the land (environmental survey, geological survey, water survey, easements/rights of way survey, housing plan, farming plan).
5. Developing group strength (values, conflict resolution, agreeing on how we’ll live together).
6. Developing connections with related groups and organizations.
7. Developing a fundraising and publicity campaign.
8. Growing and developing our membership base.
One of the other small but significant items on our ‘to do’ list is choosing our permanent name. While we love the simplicity, descriptiveness and directness of ‘The Village Farm’ it has always been just a placeholder for us. We’d like our permanent name to reflect our intention of becoming an integral part of, and ultimately belonging to the community of Sooke. We’ll likely reveal the new name we’ve chosen in an upcoming post, so don’t be surprised if the masthead changes a little.
Every day from now until April will be chock a block as we all work simultaneously to bring the ecovillage farm into fruition. We’ll be sure to keep you updated as we make headway and hit milestones.
Heartfelt thanks to all who commented on the last post. We savoured each and every one.